Friday, June 28, 2013

Water Filters, Bag Gardens, Grading Papers, Oh My! Part 3

Grading Papers - So I show up and look into one of the classrooms and see Mike and  Bob helping grade the exams the children had just taken the day before.   So, being a teacher, I sat down and started grading.  This is how they grade papers, they have 4 - 5 people each take one exam, then someone else calls out the answers.  This is a very slow process as there are 500 students per classroom.  Now imagine grading one paper at a time and going over and over.  Then they take all those grades and list them by highest to lowest score.  There were fifty questions and the highest grade was a 39.  They are tested on math, English, social studies, science, and ki-swallii.  The paper over here is so precious to them, and we have so much, it amazes me.   I was just going to help for a while and then go and play with the children, however, every time I tried to get up, the teacher said please stay.  The misinformation the people here is truly frightful.  For example, they think Americans have a cure for AIDS!  AIDS is so prevalent here, and most of us have worked with people who have AIDS.  We have no idea how truly blessed we are in the States!  Tomorrow we go home....yes I know this post is a little late.....See everyone soon and thanks for all your  prayers, they have been felt.


No comments: