Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ready for home

With the last minute flurry of packing and weighing spinning around me, I can't help but think of home and the happy faces we will see. The anticipation of seeing my daughter, son-in-law, and three grandkids grows with each passing moment. But there is also a part of me that doesn't want to leave. I have fallen for the Africans here and the need for them to know Jesus. In the last few weeks, I've gotten to be a part of discussions of what it takes to be a church, help baptize 33 Masai villagers, preached, led some seminars on leadership, watched teammates teach practical applications from Scriptures, build lasting friendships, work together to build a water tower, see lots of paint hit the walls of an office (hopefully it hit the wall), take part in the planning of planting a new church in a local community, and have had a small part in mentoring a new pastor and praying for him with friends. What incredibly humbling experiences! To think that this team has had a part in the spreading of the Gospel to people who are so far away. . . amazing. I have loved working with the team God put together for this trip. Everyone worked hard at the projects, but more importantly in building relationships with the African people. They made themselves vulnerable and opened their hearts to make new friends that will last for the rest of their lives. We grew closer together as a team and as brothers and sisters in Christ. I am excited about how we will continue to work together to spread the Gospel at home. I know that our hearts have been changed by God and am thankful that He put this particular team together for this particular time. The team has been a shining reflection of Christ to a people who so desperately need to see Him. There is so much deception and untruth here. False teachings abound. We will continue to pray for Haven of Peace Christian Church, Alphonce and the elders there, Billy and Leah DeLaughter (missionaries in Arusha), Prosper (the new church plant minister) and the new church in Arusha, and the African people. I pray that God will allow us to return and see what he has accomplished through our humble efforts to serve our mighty God and loving Savior Jesus. I will be ever grateful to the team for allowing me to share in their experiences of service.

Bob

No comments: