Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Reflections from our team" - Tuesday

Nancy Gibson wrote:
As our time draws near I have very mixed feelings. I would really like to sleep in my own bed, drive my car, and eat lucky charms. On the other hand, I will miss this place when I am gone. I’ve grown used to everyone staring, and everywhere you look you see someone working hard. However, the children and our friends here are the best part of the entire experience. They have such bright spirits and my heart goes out to them. I really wish we could go back to Dar es Salaam, if even for just a few minutes because I just love those people. As for stuff we have done, the safari was unforgettable, and we spent all day with the kids at a local school. This school is run by a man named Amos, and he gives underprivileged children an education for very cheap price. He was a wonderful man and the children seemed very happy. We played games with them and fed them and taught them the Good Samaritan story. Tomorrow is dedicated to buying some stuff and dinner at the Muhammadali’s house. It should be lovely. The bad thing about shopping is the bargaining. You would think it would be fun, but it’s not. It is a huge hassle especially when the people are pushy and you don’t want to pay the price they are asking but then again you don’t know how much it is worth and maybe you should pay that much. Ahh. Daryl has discovered the trick though, if they let you walk away because of the price you are asking you are really not offering enough for them to make a profit. Then you go back. 
Neal Huffman wrote:
We have spent a great 4 days in Arusha. We arrived on Friday from Dar es Salaam and drove to Arusha which is about 30 miles from Kilimanjaro National Airport. Billy and Lea DeLaughter (sp?) are our hosts and have done an outstanding job getting us integrated into their Arusha connections. We traveled to Ngorongoro on Sunday for a one day safari into the 12 mile crater. This crater is about 600m deep and is home to a host of exotic African animals. We were able to see lions, tigers and bears. Okay, maybe not tigers and bears but we did see elephants, lions, zebras, gazelles, wildebeests, serats, hippos, and a whole lot more. What an amazing display of God’s creation. We spent today working with Prosper (a local Arushan) who is starting a church. We did a prayer walk around the area where he is ministering and talked and prayed with the locals. The poverty is extreme and most people have needs for food, shelter, and money. We then spent the afternoon playing soccer with about 100 children that were anywhere from 6 to 12 years old. I spent most of the time close to our goal so that I didn’t have to run all over the field. My team actually scored a goal so technically we won.  Part of our team is leaving tomorrow to return to the USA and we will be sad to see them go.

Nikki Rainey wrote:
Wow it only feels like we have been in Arusha for a little while, but as time draws near to leavening, I have realized we have been here for 4 days. Saturday we all piled into the Dali Dali (bus) and drove out to Moshi- about 1 hr away. We went to the Light in Africa Orphanage to see the work Mama Lynn was doing. It was very hard to see all the babies, and young children that were just cast aside because no one wanted them, so Mama Lynn took them in. Some had physical disabilities, others were just not wanted. That was very hard to see and not try to take one home with us!!!! After the orphanage on our way back home, we went to the base of Kilimanjaro so we could say we ‘hiked’ it 
Sunday morning we got up bright and early for church, and then headed out for our Safari to Ngorongoro crater. WOW. It is over 8000 feet at the rim, and it was cold! We spent the evening at Rhino lodge, which was a posh hotel compared  they did not have any electricity, or fire places… and they told us to not walk around at night b/c of the animals! We headed down into the crater bright and early and saw just about every animal on ‘our list’. I can’t believe we are in Africa!!!
This morning we went with Lindsey Huffman to meet our Compassion children. She sponsored a 4 yr old girl and we had a 6 yr old boy named Luther. I wasn’t really sure what to expect about the met, and had mixed nervous emotions. They arrived and were quiet and shy at first, but then the bouncy balls came out  Luther loved playing with them and his soccer ball. It was so precious seeing his smile. It is hard working in situations like this because you never know if you really are making a difference. But with Luther, we know we are. $32 a month pays for all his food, medical supplies and education. What amounts to change for American’s truly makes an impact on this child’s life. His father came with him, and we could only speak a few words to each other, we knew the love and compassion we had for each other and Luther. What a wonderful wonderful experience. For those who are stateside and reading this now, if you do not sponsor a child- please sign up today. You will not regret it!
Lindsey Huffman wrote:
Nikki totally stole my thunder because I was going to write about my Compassion International visit! What an incredible experience!! My boyfriend Grant and I have been sponsoring a little girl named Asha for about 10 months or so now. She just turned 4 in June and is absolutely adorable! I wondered how the visit was going to work out and if she would open up to me, considering she is so young. Immediately when she arrived Asha reached to hold my hand. She came with her mom and younger brother Abdul. The trip was about 340 kilometers (not sure what that amounts to in miles) but the time it took to travel was 9 hours! The reason it takes so long is because the roads are so terrible to drive on. They are extremely bumpy (as our team has witnessed)! I cannot believe the three of them were willing to travel so far just to meet me for a few hours. I brought Asha several presents that Grant and I had purchased and she just loved them! The smile and giggles from her mouth were priceless! We played ball together for awhile, and then Asha tended to the baby dolls I brought her. She mimicked her mother when she wrapped the baby on her back with a conga. She even wanted to feed her! It was precious. She had the most contagious giggle and a beautiful smile! Typically, people sponsor their children until they are 18 years of age, so knowing that Asha will hopefully be apart of my life for the next 14 years is quite exciting. It was great to actually see her in person and know that my money and letters are actually going to her.
Our safari ended yesterday and it was great! We got to see lions eating a zebra which was really cool. It was like we were watching Discovery Channel! What a treat to see African animals in the wild! We leave to go home on Thursday, and I must say I am ready to get back. This experience was incredible, but I miss my family and the creature comforts of home.
Mom and Dad – I cannot wait to get back to you. I probably will not call again until we land in North Carolina, so I look forward to talking to you then. I love you both and miss you like crazy! Love you too Grant and Eric!! 

Daryl Huffman wrote:
Well, since all the others have done such a great job at detailing all the wonders we have seen and all the things that we have done, I am going to change it up a little. First of all, David King, I thought the sweetheart thing was for me…..
Paula, Nick, Miranda and Sassy I truly miss you guys and will be excited to see you. I hope your week at the beach goes well with Nanny and you have fun. I pray for you guys and your safety. I love each and every one of you and will be home in less than two weeks.
I will say the prayer walk was rewarding and I need to pray for God to help me do that in the USA as well, was an awesome experience and all of these people have such basic needs like Job, food, health and so many prayers for husbands, fathers, sons that were having problems with alcohol.
The other group is leaving on Thursday and I know they are anxious to get home but we will miss them, part of the team is leaving and it will leave a gap, for those of us remaining we will be home soon.
I am anxiously excited about the 19,340 foot climb with Bob, Deanna and Neal and will welcome any prayers when you have time. I hope that 30 minutes I spent at the YMCA pays off.
Joni Wood, I know you won’t read this because it involves technology, I almost thought I found a church over here, was a truly awesome experience of worship, praise and sermon. But, then I met the preacher’s wife and she is nothing like you so I am coming back. I know you hear that all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, that safari sounds like it was amazing! And meeting Asha and spending time with her must have been the ultimate!! I'm so happy that you were able to meet her. I wish I could have been there to share that experience with you. I'm glad that you were able to go to Africa and be a witness out there, but I am certainly happy that you'll be home soon! I miss you much!! Stay safe the rest of the trip! Oh, and tell your uncles and papa I said hi!! I love you!

Anonymous said...

WOW - my little girl is in Africa watching lions eat tigers and thinking it's cool. Not sure what I think about that but I do miss you very much! There weren't any postings for a few days so we were concerned. Mom and I talked about you all day today and the experience you must have had meeting Asha. What an incredible feeling to know this little girls life is forever changed because of you and Grant. As a parent I can only imagine how her Mother felt meeting you. Knowing that because of what you and Grant have done, her child can have a better life. I am really, really proud of you. Hurry home - Mom and I are anxious for your return !!