Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reflections from Mary Pat

Mary Pat King wrote:

I know it's been several days since my last post. It is amazing how fast time fly's here. I think I need a couple of more months here, ok David? We went on a safari to Arusha National park on Saturday. We went with Billy and Leaha, the missionaries we are staying with. We took a walking tour and got really close to the Buffalo, in fact I know several were thinking, MMMMMMM lunch is severed. Then we walked over to where the giraffe were and boy what beautiful animals they are. There were old ones new ones, pregnant ones. The whole trip was wonderful, beautiful, and amazing! Sunday we had church in Billy's home and Prosper (the new pastor Billy is menteroing) and a lady that will be joining his church. Please pray in that area, because they have a place maybe, to hold services. However the building is empty. This is a brand new church!
Sunday afternoon was a tragic day. We had gone to pic-and-pay to buy some water (we go through a lot of water here and we have to purchase it because the Arusha's water is toxic). As we left, Leigha was involved in a accident. The whole experience was scary! First a CROWD of people surrounded the car, all talking Swahili and the car was full of Mazongu (white people)! Leigha was scared and was talking to Billy, he was still at the house, Bobby and I went back to the pic-and-pay to get the store manager to call the police. Well if I knew then what I know now, that never would have happened. You see if they take you to the police station, there is a chance you will end up spending the night in jail. That was not going to happen. A police man got in the car and Leigha was trying to tell him we had to pick up her husband, and he kept saying no: go to station. I know how these people view the old people so I said: Old man, must go home. I was talking about Daryle Huffmans dad. He owes me one for that. Anyway the police changed his mine and we were able to pick up Billy and drop off Bobby. After all said and done, Billy had to pay the guy $100, even though it was the other guys fault. This is such a corrupt nation! Now Billy has to get his car fixed as power steering fluid is leaking from his car. Please pray for the mechanic to be just and not corrupt.
On Monday Cheri, Bobby, and myself went to Marangu. This is a higher altitude, and we toured the rain forest. We also went to the base camp for one of the trails up to Kilimanjaro. We stayed at a little house converted to rooms to sleep. Now you have to understand and that there is NO heat, a toilet that didn't flush, and I shower there was no way I was using. Hot water was not readily available. You had to wait till the owner turned on the water heater, and then you get warm water, maybe. NO problem though as my standards are so less. The scenery was so worth it. We got to see two beautiful waterfalls. On the smaller one a guy jumped in from a cliff. The bigger one had a statue of "Mother Africa" at the top. At both falls I was in the water, as I am a fish and love water. Adnon our tour guide, does not like it when his clients are in semi-dangerous situations. Any way on the larger fall, I was across the water to the other side, in no time. I laid out on two rocks and fell asleep. David we are so retiring bye a lake! Carson and Casey you would have loved this place, it's better than Gattlingburg. I wanted to build a rock formation like we did there. I miss all of you sooo much. Back to the story, we left there on Tuesday and hung around Marango waiting for Kilimanjaro to get out of the clouds, needless to say we never got to see it. We came back to Billy's to find out wonderful news, Leigha is pregnant! Wednesday we went into town for grocery shopping at Shoperite. (David does Delhaize own this?) We went to a home made chocolate place and I was in heaven. After indulging in some sweets, we left to go back "home" because the climbers were due back. It was great to see them again but boy did they stink. All the boys had scraggy beards and Deanna looked like I've had enough let me die now. After they all cleaned up we went to dinner at Stinkys and got to hear all about their climb. It was so amazing to listen to all the tales. I'm glad I did not go! So today Thursday, we are all getting massage's at $6.00 for one hour. Wow David I could get one a week at that cost. Glenna do you think Theresa will lower her cost?? Today after massages, we are going into town to do some shopping, David don't freak out. I'm looking for Tanzanight! Love to all and please keep us in your prayers. There are two Muslim family's we are trying to minister to, and prayer always helps.

3 comments:

Leiana said...

Hi all - I am a friend of Nikki and James! I wanted to let you all know how much I am enjoying reading about what you all are accomplishing in Africa.

We always talk about doing for others or about how much we have relative to the rest of the world in terms of finances - but what you're sharing really brings it to life for those of us that have gotten lazy and take things for granted. It's moving to hear how much the people you encounter try to give to you, even though they hardly have anything.
Even more, it's so wonderful to hear how love and happiness flourish in places without all the material things we Americans think we "need."

Thank you for re-opening my eyes during your trip. What a beautiful thing you are doing.

Leiana Leon Guerrero

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis! Sounds like you have had quite an experience. I can't wait to SKYPE you once you return. Have a safe trip home. Hugs to all those special children in your heart whose lives you have changed forever! LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

We Miss you guys and Africa!!
It is weird that we have been home almost a week :) Sorry I haven't gotten any pictures up - but I do have a movie to share :) I had my family over for Rice and Beans tonight and showed them the movie.
Hope everyone is well rested, and ready for the 30+ hrs to get home! :)
Nikki